Time to reflect, celebrate and recharge.



So another action packed school term comes to an end.  I always find this is a good time for educators to reflect on successes and areas for improvements, but also take time to recharge our batteries.

If teachers want to continue improving their practice and ensure they are moving with the ever- changing needs of their students, it is imperative to take the time to reflect. I feel that I have pushed forward with some of my targets this term. Although, I am aware that I have some areas to improve upon next term and I will be setting new targets and this challenge excites me.

However, for now, it is time to celebrate the difference we have made to our students. It's time to celebrate the personal progress we have made professionally and this isn't something teachers do enough. We work incredibly hard and it is important we recognise and celebrate our achievements. It's equally important to also take the time to recharge over the holiday period.

This is something which I find difficult. Work is all encompassing for so long, and then, all of a sudden, there is nothing. No demands, no pupils, no parents. I find this sudden change a difficult adjustment and all I want to do now is use Twitter to continue with some CPD now I have some time for myself. But I am going to resist (well, apart from the incredible http://ditchsummit.com/ conference by Matt Miller!), because I know I need to be at my best come January and this will only happen with some time-out.

So, as I leave my classroom for the holidays, I like to stand at the door and gaze around the room. I like to ponder the hard work, the progress, the happiness, the struggles and the 'aha!' moments which have taken place. I am thankful for my classroom and grateful to be part of the incredible things that happen there.

I would advise others to take 30 seconds to ponder at your door before you leave. It can be a very satisfying experience.

I hope all educators have a fantastic holiday and feel re-energised in January to continue to change the world; one lesson and one pupil at a time. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Comments