5 things I learnt this summer



59 days ago I began the summer holiday with the the same typical teacher mindset as every other holiday. Take some time to rest and then when I am full of vigour I can begin to make a head start on the next academic year. This mindset has almost never worked, and I spent most of the time planning on doing something productive, never actually doing it, and realise I wasted some of my holiday time thinking about doing something I was never going to do. Sound familiar?

With 4 days left, however, this holiday has been different. In the first few weeks I read The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson. One of the principles in his book refers to motivation not only being the cause of action, but points out that action also is the cause of motivation. Simply put, if you just do something, you will feel inspired to do a little bit more. So I used this principle and I have found it to be extremely successful this summer.

With very limited time during the academic year to focus on any tasks other than the needs of my pupils and the school, I decided to take my professional development into my own hands. I have wanted to become Google Certified for 2 years and this summer I took the time to complete the online training and pass the exams for both levels 1 and 2 (fundamental and advanced). This means my next target will be to become a Google Certified Trainer.

I also wanted to increase my knowledge in the use of technology in improving education so I also read two books on the topic; Ditch That Textbook by Matt Miller and 140 Twitter Tips for Educators by Billy Krakower, Brad Currie and Scott Rocco.

I have had so many conversations with colleagues over the years about the importance of using technology in education and it felt like Matt Miller must have been listening to these conversations when writing his book. He appears to have the same viewpoint on education as I do and it was like a breath of fresh air reading his book. Technology dominates the world of our pupils, and this needs to be used to prepare them for their futures. This means shifting the focus of the teacher being the source of all knowledge to a facilitator of interactive learning using methods such as flipped classroom, blended learning and project based learning.

I am also beginning to believe in the power of Twitter for educators. In #140EduTips, I realised I am not alone despite being a one person department. As a connected educator with a growing personal learning network (PLN) I can collaborate with educational professionals around the globe, at any time and on any topic.

So here are the 5 things I learnt this summer:

  1. Feeling uninspired? Do something. Anything. You don't know where it could lead.
  2. Using technology as a tool to teach is just as vital as the subjects being taught. Not sold? I would recommend every teacher read Ditch That Textbook.
  3. If you have Google Suite for Education (GSFE) in your school, use it. Should it be enforced? No. Would I recommend it? Absolutely. It will revolutionise the teaching and learning in your classroom.
  4. If GSFE is available, do the Google Certified Educator level 1 training and exam. Again, should it be enforced? No. Would I recommend it? Absolutely.
  5. Twitter is a terrific tool for collaborating with other professionals and I can't wait to utilise it for my personal development and to create a deeper connection for my school within it's community. 
After doing something, I feel inspired to further develop my teaching practice and PLN using the skills I have learnt this summer. Here is to a technologically enriched academic year for all students and staff in your schools.


Comments

  1. Wow, Thomas ... this is a great summer holiday reflection. Thank you for the kind words about Ditch That Textbook. It truly is my passion, and I'm glad I have another fellow brother in arms in the quest to use technology meaningfully in the classroom! Best of luck to you this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for reading my blog entry Matt! I am looking forward to learning more from you.

      Delete

Post a Comment