Music can change your world

Music can change your world. I first noticed it when we used to pick my dad up from work listening to Oasis' What's the Story? album. I remember buying my first CD, and going to my first gig. It influences your ideologies on life, your fashion sense, your haircuts. For me, The Courteeners are the band I most relate to, partly because their influences are the same as mine, and I feel I was there with them, following their rise as a small Manchester band. Sometimes its just about timing, and they came along at a time in my life when I needed it most. I was hooked the first time I heard them and their music gave me a confidence, almost a swagger, and if you get it, you are part of something special. They might not be everyone's favourite choice, but they are mine. Not just because of their musical talent, it goes deeper than that. And if you're a fan, you get it. And if you don't, we don't care. "I could not give one cos we are us not you". Because today, there will be 50,000 others who feel the same as me descending upon Old Trafford cricket ground, celebrating music, Manchester and life. How appropriate after the bombing this week. After all, Mondays victims were there to do the same and it's a fitting way to keep their memory alive. I hope everyone stays safe and has the time of their lives, just like I have, more times than I can remember. Seeing The Courteeners with family and friends, are some of my favourite memories (or in some cases, lack of!). They've helped people forge friendships and even relationships. They are the only band that have written songs that make me cry. When I picture getting married, I can hear their songs in the background. I've been lucky enough to meet them and Liam Fray even bought me and Kerri Schofield a drink. He talked to me about relationships and commented how me and Kerri seem so well suited. If I could be anywhere in the world today, it would be there. I hope the day passes safely and the band and the crowd show that our way of life cannot be beaten. Music plays a significant part of that, and it will be celebrated today, in Manchester of all places.
God bless the band, they're doing all they can x

Image may contain: indoor

Comments